Michigan Environmental Council (MEC) is a coalition of more than 60 organizations with offices in Lansing and Detroit. Created in 1980 to lead Michigan’s environmental movement. MEC combines deep environmental policy expertise, close connections to state and federal decision-makers and relationships with broad alliances to achieve positive public policy solutions to our most challenging environmental issues.
Reporting to the Communications Director, the Communications Specialist supports creative and tactical storytelling on behalf of the organization. The position requires excellent writing and time management skills. The Communications Specialist will write and edit for our web and print publications; coordinate with program staff and leadership on communications strategies; develop and deliver compelling messages that drive news coverage and shape discussions in the State Capitol; and help implement a digital program that grows MEC's base of support and financial capacity. This is an early career opportunity for an emerging professional to gain experience and build contacts and relationships leading to industry career options such as social media coordinator, public information officer and communications director..
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Work with MEC staff to develop talking points and key messages on priority issues.
- Stay on top of news coverage of environmental and public policy issues in Michigan and changes in the state’s media landscape.
- Monitor public opinion research related to MEC’s work and incorporate polling insights into the organization’s communications.
- Support communications efforts for issue-based coalitions in which MEC participates.
Communications Asset Management and Development
- Write press releases, media advisories and on-deadline statements to drive news coverage of MEC initiatives.
- Work with engagement staff to publicize member and partner events.
- Respond quickly and reliably to media inquiries and connect journalists with MEC staff based on their issue expertise.
- Pitch stories about MEC’s priority issues to journalists around—and occasionally beyond—Michigan.
- Manage and grow MEC’s presence on social media.
- Assist with the management of MEC's website, supporter database, and email program.
- Bachelor's degree or three-years’ professional experience in journalism, communications, public relations or a related field.
- Proven outstanding writing skills
- Social media savvy
- Strong attention to detail, including firm grasp of AP style.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Passion for MEC's mission, members, and partners.
- Successful deployment of brand development, message and strategic communications
- Expertise in issue-based advocacy; including online, digital organizing
- Experience designing email advocacy programs, evaluating and monitoring success
- Graphic design experience and/or experience using Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience using NationBuilder or similar CMS platforms
Other Position Notes
- This position is based in Lansing. Some telecommuting is possible.
- The candidate must be available to respond to media inquiries outside normal work hours as needed and for in-state travel [Driver’s license required].
- May be required to work non-standard hours and to be available for occasional evening and weekend activities and events.
MEC provides staff with an industry-leading compensation package. The Communications Specialist position includes a salary of $30,000 - $39,000 commensurate with experience; full medical, dental and vision benefits; organizational matching to a 403(b) retirement program and unlimited paid time off.
Submit a single PDF with 1) a strong, detailed cover letter, 2) a resume, 3) at least three references, and 4) two work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications Specialist” in the subject line. Incomplete submissions will not be reviewed. Please direct questions about the job description to Communications Director Elizabeth Fedorchuk at email@example.com. Application review will begin December 3 and continue until the position is filled.